Design Studio Website
Friday, June 03, 2005
innovating innovation
When I was a judge at the Thunderbird 2004 Innovation Challenge, Anil Rathi, who is the co-founder of the Innovation Challenge, sent me the book "What A Great Idea!" by Charles "Chic" Thompson.

Unlike all the other innovation books in my library (except Tom Peters' "Circle Of Innovation" of course), "What A Great Idea!" looked like fun. And after a break from reading on innovation / creativity, I decided it would be a good place to restart.

Now, I have no idea who Mr. Chic Thompson is. I am however, very tempted to go online and do a Google. But I resist - for the greater good.

I open the cover of the book and a picture of an egg greets me - with this one line of text under it - "A goal of every living creature is to break out of the box." And I think to myself, "Well yes! At least that's what I'm trying to do these days!"

Then page (i) announces a New Creativity Workshop. The workshop is for an "interactive journey through the four steps of organizational innovation." The steps of the workshop are then outlined below:

FREEDOM
- break the "old rules of school"
- learn from failure
- dream with your eyes open

EXPRESSION
- be curious first ... critical second
- 'shake the tree' for inspiration by adding stimuli
- smile and change your world in a heartbeat

CREATION
- ask the right questions and see the uniqueness of your challenge
- look for second and third right answers
- expand your perspective with metaphorical thinking
- challenge your assumptions with paradoxical thinking
- learn a powerful brainstorming method called Idea Mapping

ACTION
- make your vision visible
- create a results-driven action plan
- sell your ideas with passion
- keep your brain alive

The first step in the creativity workshop says, "break the 'old rules of school'". I wonder to myself, "What are the 'new' ideas in innovation these days?" and honestly, I cannot find any! There are more studies, more research, some successes at replicating the old innovation successes, but the impression I get is that there is nothing "new". There are only "old rules of school".

And maybe it is time to innovate "Innovation" itself. Maybe it is time to look at it from a perspective not explored yet - which is going to be a tough one!

The purpose of any research is to simplify a subject. All the "serious" research on innovation only confounds me further.

I agree that success - in itself - whether in implementing innovation, or otherwise, isn't simple or easy. But why can't the process to get there involve simpler guidelines?
posted by Naina @ Permalink 6/03/2005 01:19:00 PM   0 comments  --- Google It! ---
0 Comments:
Post a Comment

blog navigation
recent entries
monthly archive
innovation links
changethis manifestos
design links
other links
   
RSS and XML Feed Subscribe to Innovation with Bloglines
Listed on BlogShares I'm on orkut
My profile on LinkedIn My profile on Ecademy
Skype Me! Blogger Profile
Innovation Challenge Judge Blogstreet Profile

directions for using the blog
all links are in green: when you take your mouse-pointer over a link, it turns blue with a dashed gray underline. links in the post-body are also dash-underlined.

all links to useful information within the blog are under the *blog navigation* sidebar on the top-right.

the topmost right-corner advertises the yellow pages service provided by my parent organization, InnovationNetwork.

the ASIDE Innovation Blog does not advertise for third-parties and there are no pop-ups associated with the blog.

for any complaints kindly e-mail me at asideblog [at] gmail [dot] com.

Naina Redhu has no liability for the contents on the pages of the weblinks under the *innovation*, *design* and *other* categories.

the *ideas@aside* logo is the sole-property of ASIDE and Naina Redhu and is copyrighted under the Creative Commons like the rest of the graphics and writing existing on the ASIDE Innovation Blog.

the blog has been optimized for Internet Explorer and uses websafe colors. the color scheme has been extensively researched for eye-safety for on-screen viewing as well as for the impact of colors on the brain. the colors on this weblog are suitable for a stress-free read and will relax all five senses.

comments relating to subject-matter under innovation / creativity and design / colors are welcome.
All comments, ideas and thoughts on the ASIDE Innovation Blog
are property of their authors unless otherwise stated
Copyright Naina Redhu, 2004
ASIDE is powered by Blogger